​About Student Employment


Federal Work-Study

A number of Student Work-Study opportunities are available in offices across the university and with off-campus community service organizations.  Federal Work-Study (FWS) funds are awarded based on financial need and positions are subsidized by the government.  Students may earn up to the amount of award ($3500) through the SNHU Student Employment Program.  Students are not guaranteed employment and it is the student’s responsibility to secure a position.  
If you have received a financial aid award and were awarded work-study, you can apply for a work-study position.  As these funds are potential earnings, the amount awarded cannot be applied to the student’s bill.  Please review the "Student Employee Handbook" for more information.

Pay rates as of July 1, 2016 include the following:

  • On-campus employment shall be paid at an hourly rate no lower than $8.00 per hour. Individual departments have the discretion to pay up to an hourly rate of $8.50 per hour.
  • Off-campus employment with our community service partners shall be paid at $9.25 per hour.
  • Pay rates may differ for students in remote positions in accordance with state minimum wage rates, which can be found here.
A New Hampshire employer cannot require that an employee work more than five consecutive hours without granting a thirty-minute lunch or eating period.  If the employer cannot allow thirty minutes the employee must be paid if they are eating and working at the same time.

As a Federal Work-Study employee, you have the right to:

  • Information regarding your award amount, rate of pay, average number of hours per week, and general FWS procedures.
  • Instructions regarding procedures to be followed if you cannot report for a scheduled work period.
  • A clearly defined work schedule, which accommodates your course schedule and academic requirements.
  • Adequate training to perform assigned tasks.
  • A safe, clean, and professional working environment.
  • Supervision and direction from SNHU staff or our community service partners.
  • Instructions for recording hours worked, as well as information regarding the University’s payroll procedures and payroll calendar.

As a Federal Work-Study student, you have the responsibility to:

  • Become familiar with information provided regarding the terms of your FWS award and the FWS program policies procedures.
  • Communicate with your supervisor regarding schedule.
  • Notify your supervisor immediately if you are unable to attend work.
  • Understand your job expectations from your supervisor.
  • Notify Student Financial Services in the event of an inappropriate work environment.
  • Maintain professionalism and accuracy in all transactions with the public or campus community.

University Paid Positions

Southern New Hampshire University also offers a limited number of  Student-University Paid positions.  Positions are open to any student, regardless of financial need, who meets SNHU’s employment eligibility requirements.  Funding for these positions comes directly from the institutional budget.  Review the "Student Employee Handbook" for more information.

Off-Campus Employment

Manchester is New Hampshire's Queen City and the population center of the state. Part-time employment opportunities do exist in the local area. Students should carefully weigh the pros & cons of working off-campus (i.e. transportation, work hours, flexibility).  The university's Career Development Office coordinates information concerning these opportunities and acts as a liaison with local employers. In partnership with the Career Development Office, SNHU Recruit provides full-time, part-time, temporary and internship opportunities targeted by employers to Southern New Hampshire University students and alumni.